Tchotchkes (#2.)

Tchotchke (n.) choch-KEE: a small bauble or miscellaneous item.

My most recent thrift excursion has been very lucky. Every year my local Goodwill has its annual vintage sale where they pull out the most unique and unusual items from their mysterious back room. The Vintage Sale is for me what Black Friday is to everyone else. I sit outside of Goodwill well before the doors open (because believe it or not there's usually a huge line to get in) to make sure that I get first dibs on some of the best junk.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find many things that really caught my eye this year, but I was still able to leave with a few beautiful things.
Every once in a while on my hunts I'll strike gold. I was able to find this gorgeous, vintage dress made from 100% Indian silk, which I still can't believe that I was able to snag for $5.99. Although the dress itself is very thin (as silk tends to be), I think it'll be perfect for the summer time. For a size medium it's still huge, but I'm sure it's nothing that a tailor can't fix. For now, wearing a leather belt around the middle will suffice.
This lovely little deer. He's found a comfortable home on my bookshelf, right next to Candide by Voltaire. I still haven't named him yet. Any suggestions?
A pretty blue tin.
I have a thing for finding/collecting vintage tins. Usually I end up keeping tea or other small things inside of them. I think it's a unique way of storing small things -- I have them all over my apartment.
A brass Chinese cricket jar. In Chinese culture, crickets are a symbol of good luck. Cricket jars were often made from different materials -- porcelain, clay, or woven bamboo. It's not very often that you'll find one made from brass. Although I don't plan on keeping crickets as a pet any time soon, I thought the jar was a perfect additional to my collection of brass tchotchkes. I'm sure I can use it for something else, like burning incense cones.
A Victorian/Victorian-style necklace. I have no idea as to whether or not this is actually valuable or if it's merely costume jewelry. The necklace itself is made from brass. Although I'm not 100% certain, the center stone looks like it could be malachite. Either way, it's still a gorgeous piece  -- even more so in person.
The Jamestown Princess: Pocahontas Legends (1907) by Anna Cunningham Cole and M. Louise Smith.
This book was another incredibly lucky find -- especially since it's an original print copy that was published in 1907. That makes this little book 108 years old, and it's almost entirely in perfect condition. It's beautiful to flip through, as it includes illustrations that detail the legend of Pocahontas in epic verse form. I can't believe that I was able to snag this for $3.

You can find my post detailing my previous thrifting adventure below:

21 comments

  1. Amazing photos! Great post!
    www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a clichè as if I would name that cute little deer, I would name it Bambi. Xx


    eLLa
    every LiTTLE thing07

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pictures! That little deer reminds me of Bambi :) xo Vivian

    www.twoward.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute post :)

    http://donnaoctober.blogspot.mk/

    https://www.instagram.com/donnaoctober/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool things you've bought!
    http://www.silkypearl.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything you got, and the book is precious...

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Vintage Sale sounds fab, looks like you picked up some lovely pieces too, I love the Victorian necklace!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. What amazing finds! I love that vintage dress and I can't believe that book is 108 years old!

    www.livinginsteil.com
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this!!

    love the blog girl! if you get the chance please take the time to check out mine and let me know what you think (maybe even follow? no pressure though!)
    PS: my most recent post has a GREAT deal for 16 dollar blanket scarves!!! check it out! you'll love it. :)

    love, rach.
    So, hi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, I can't believe you managed to get the book for $3! That is such a piece of history there, with the book being that old! I would love to go into a thrift store with you, you really found some gems here.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  11. AAA you look stunning! I am in love with your style. Do you want to support each others blog by following each other? Please let me know so I can follow you right back:)

    xoxo
    www.theclosetelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are really wonderful finds! Seriously, WOW!

    Mallory // Perhaps Bananas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, these are some fantastic finds! That dress really is beautiful and I love old, vintage books! The cricket jar is so neat too! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh very cute darling
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are some amazing finds! Totally LOVE your dress. This lovely deer reminds me of Bambi from the disney movie Bambi. So that's the name I would recommend you. This necklace looks so exquisite.

    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, that deer! How cute! What amazing finds <3

    Sophie | soinspo xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love cute little bits and bobs like that :)
    The book is just amazing!!
    xox Nadia
    http://mielandmint.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got some great pieces here, we especially love that Victorian necklace, it's so gorgeous!

    ISA Professional

    ReplyDelete