Uncertainty.

"The most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."
-Mark Twain

Not a day goes by where I don't doubt myself. I am constantly questioning my life choices -- am I on the right path to a successful future? What is my purpose in life? Am I being productive enough? I feel as if the last few years have been shrouded with uncertainty, and this leaves me constantly feeling anxious.

I remember five years ago was my freshman year of college. It was a new and exciting time -- a completely fresh start that was full of potential and opportunities. People kept asking me, "Where do you see yourself in five years?", and I would always envision a perfect future for myself: one where I was fulfilled and happy and following the perfect path to the beginning of a budding career.

Five years later, I can honestly say that I am nowhere near that vision.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that perfection does not exist. Whenever I start to stress over the uncertainty of my future or whether I'm following the right path, there are several things that I try to remind myself of:

1.  Everything is uncertain. 
When you are feeling jealous of others posts on social media, it's because you are uncertain that you are getting the most out of life. When you are procrastinating, it's because you are uncertain of whether you are capable of finishing the task at hand. When you are feeling anxiety, it's because you are uncertain about the future. When you are feeling guilty or bad about yourself, it's because you are uncertain that you are a good person/disciplined person/reaching your fullest potential.

2. Realize that this is a natural feeling, and nobody likes feeling uncertain.
If you come across someone who says that they actually enjoy not knowing what the future holds, they're fooling themselves. We all dogged by uncertainty -- there are not many of those who live without it. To cope with uncertainty, we try to find different outlets: drinking, shopping, over eating, shutting down -- all of which are unhealthy habits.

3. Notice when you are feeling uncertain.
It's important to become aware of when you are feeling anxiety, fear, procrastination, anger, self-doubt, etc. You are feeling these emotions because you are uncertain. Once you are able to realize when you are feeling these emotions, it makes it much easier for you to handle them appropriately.

4. Stay with it.
Winston Churchill once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."
Realize that it is a natural feeling. Learn to cope with these emotions in a healthy way. Meditation, walking, and coloring are a few examples. 

5. Find the beauty in it. 
After a while, you'll realize that you're trying to know the unknowable. You don't know what the perfect path in life will be or where you'll end up. You won't know your destination until you get there. Instead of worrying about the unknowable, focus on what you have right in front of you -- live in the moment and realize that building a future takes baby steps.


"The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things like love, meaning, or motivation, it implies that they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people recognize that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, and they generate their own motivation."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson 

10 comments

  1. I can really relate to your points. I'm currently at a time of uncertainty in my life, great tips xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in my final year of college and have been freaking out, so this was the perfect thing for me to stumble across right now. Thank you so much :)

    http://viasora.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. Last month I had a lovely little run in with uncertainty and ended up shopping quite a bit in order to cover it up. Fortunately everything worked out but I'm sure that annoying feeling will be back soon enough. It's always nice to be reminded that other people feel the same way too; it's so easy to feel alone in those situations.

    Raise The Waves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love the positive vibes in this post - some excellent early week inspiration. Thanks lovely :) xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a good post - I have a terrible habit of worrying about the future and I know I need to start living in the moment. Excellent tips here :) x

    Viva Epernay | Penhaligon's Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alex, thank you so much for this post! I know I can never stand uncertainty and it is the ultimate source of my worry. I have bad health and separation anxiety and always need to know everything for 'certain'. I am undergoing therapy for it but it can be so tricky. I love your blog, am now following and thanks for checking out mine! :D xx

    elizabeth | ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | bloglovin follow for follow
    Follow for follow on instagram :D

    ReplyDelete