Tchotchkes.

Tchotchke (n.) choch-KEE: a small bauble or miscellaneous item.


I love thrifting. I'll spend all afternoon scouring the highest shelves and crawling through creepy, dusty corners of thrift shops for the most unique and beautiful little things that I can find. I get a strange thrill out of finding things to add to my almost entirely thrift-decorated apartment, as I love things that have character. 
My adventures can be hit or miss. Some days I'll be able to fill an entire basket full of things, and other days I'll come out empty handed. 
Today was a lucky day. My findings from this afternoon's hunt include:
A vintage Tetley tea tin, which now houses a few of my finest tea bags. I'm in love with it -- the colors are vibrant and the container itself is still in great shape, despite its obvious age. It looks pretty sitting at the top of my tea cabinet (which is a mecca for all things tea-related.)
A brass peacock. I fell in love with this majestic little fella right away -- I happen to love any and all things that are brass.
Two lovebirds. You can't exactly see it in this photo, but the painting actually has gold accents as well which adds a bit of depth.
Colored dishes. Stained glass window panes are crazy expensive, so a lot of times I'll find pretty colored glass to place in my window or around my apartment, which works just as well if not better. These little beauties have found a home on my coffee table where they hold incense and sage.
A turquoise bird, whose purpose I guess could be multi-faceted. It would make a cute succulent  or cactus planter, but for now it sits on a small shelf above my stove and holds toothpicks. I particularly love the colors as well -- turquoise and gold are my favorites. 

12 comments

  1. This makes me want to go thrifting now too haha, you've picked up so absolutely beautiful pieces! I love the tetley tin xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had any success in going to a thrift store, but maybe consistency is key and I am discouraged to easy?
    Lovely finds.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi love, how are you?
    Great post as usual, love it.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Hope to see you enter my giveaway!
    http://its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk/
    IG: its.dominica.s
    Have a lovely week kisses! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of the word tchotchke but I'm going to remember it now because I buy them all the time! I love finding random trinkets in charity shops. The vintage Tetley tin is a great find, it must look great in your kitchen!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a thrift fanatic as well. When I was in college I would go to the thrift store several times a week & always picked up something new. Eventually my collection grew too large so I'm a bit more picky now. I love the vintage tea tin. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute finds! I love everything you got!

    Lets follow each other shall we? Let me know.
    Mommy Rockin' In Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your post, great content!

    Only 5 MORE MONDAYS till CHRISTMAS!!

    MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I love your finds. They're so quirky and different. I never seem to drop on things for the house, but I do find lots of clothes! Thanks for your comment, Im glad to have found your blog too. I will subscribe when I'm home! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks. Love the little blue bird it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete