DIY: Turmeric Mask.

If there's one thing I love, it's always a good DIY face mask.
Growing up, I spent a lot of time experimenting with different things in our kitchen (much to my mother's dismay.) Our counter tops would be strewn with eggs whites, spices, pulped fruits and vegetables -- anything that I thought would potentially give me gorgeous skin.
There was a lot of trial and error. Some things gave excellent results while others seemed to be a waste of time and resources. But that was always the fun of it -- finding the perfect combination of kitchen ingredients that would be the holy grail to all of my skin ailments.

One mask that has never failed me has been a combination of turmeric and aspirin. It seems to include properties that encompass everything that I look for in a good skin care product: brightening, exfoliating, moisturizing, and acne-fighting.
Here's a quick breakdown of the ingredients:

Aspirin (uncoated), 6 tablets
The effective ingredient in aspirin is chemically similar to salicylic acid, which is a very common exfoliant. The grainy texture of ground aspirin is an exfoliant in itself as well.
In a small bowl, cover aspirin tablets with a few drops (3-6) of warm water. Ideally, you want to make some sort of an aspirin paste that isn't runny.

Honey, 1/2 teaspoon
Honey is a natural humectant, and is therefore excellent for locking in moisture and soothing skin. Enzymes found within honey also clarify pores, keeping them clean and clear.

Yogurt (plain, full-fat), 1 teaspoon
Yogurt is full of lactic acids, which dissolves dead skin cells and leaves your skin all lovely and soft.

Turmeric, 1 teaspoon
India's most commonly used spice has also been used as a part of their skincare for centuries. One of the most important Indian wedding rituals is the "haldi" ceremony, where a paste made of milk, sandalwood, or rose water (the exact mixture depends on the individual's cultural and family customs) is mixed with turmeric and applied everywhere.
Not only is the spice exfoliating, it also dries acne, fades dark spots, and deep cleanses pore as well.
I've found that you can play around with the ingredients more or less. Personally, I like to be a little heavy-handed with the turmeric because it leaves my skin glowing afterwards. Leave it on for 20-60 minutes, and ideally wash it off over your kitchen sink, as turmeric tends to stain.

30 comments

  1. I've heard that turmeric is like a miracle worker! One of my friends swears by it for everything. He told me a story of how he once got a really nasty gash on his leg and he literally put turmeric on it and it healed in no time. Whenever I make homemade masks that are edible, I sometimes cry a little bit on the inside cause I don't know if I want nice skin or if I want to eat the ingredients, haha.

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute in the mask! =) Love this recipe... thanks for sharing!

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to read these natural beauty secrets..this mask looks so cool! :) Thanks for sharing.
    Do you want to follow each other? I follow right back and I´ll keep in touch!
    http://nuancesbyritadias.blogspot.pt/

    Kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting! Never tried this spice before but I'm a fan of homemade masks too so I'm pinning to give it a try!
    Ntina happygirlycrafty.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been a lot of fun experimenting with various ingredients as you were growing up! I haven't tried many face masks, but this one does look good :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never think of mixing this together but I guess it works :) Thank you for sharing!

    http://sarawritesadiary.blogspot.si/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of trying this! It seems like a great idea! Thanks for sharing! x

    clumsyagenda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh i'm a big fan of sheet masks but so far haven't done a DIY version! this tumeric one looks awesome - like gold on your face! will have to try

    Sher
    www.shershegoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! What an awesome idea! I'm definitely going to need to try this! xx
    leavingericafootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing this, Alex, I've bookmarked it for future reference! I plan on doing this mask myself; I've recently broke out, out of nowhere and I want to see if this will help in clearing it up, thank you! I hope you have a lovely rest of your day, beauty!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a really great, homemade mask to try! I will try to get my hands on some turmeric and try it out soon!

    Mallory // Perhaps Bananas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to make turmeric face masks but I have not made one in ages. Its difficult to get pure turmeric here in Hong Kong

    Nashia | MakeupandBeautyMayhem

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to try a tumeric mask but I don't know where to get it, haha.

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing xx

    http://the-newone.blogspot.ru/
    INSTAGRAM - hellodashi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't tried making my own face mask but this one seems like a good one to try. Thanks for sharing! Xx


    eLLa
    every LiTTLE thing07

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah thanks so much for sharing this, I love DIY face masks :) I need to try this one x

    Ana | Zoella Beauty Giveaway www.anacelinelabod.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this mask sounds great and quite easy to make! Thanks for sharing this beauty DIY!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen a lot of DIY mask recipes but none that included aspirin, what a great idea! :)
    http://trend-mixblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, wow this mask sounds amazing! How can you look so cute while wearing a face mask haha?!
    xxx
    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
  20. definitely will try it out, thanks, so easy :)

    http://www.morefashion4u.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that you've worked out the best ingredients for an effective DIY mask. I'd never know what to put in it! I might give this one a go, sounds fab! :)

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! This looks great. I'll definitely have to give it a try. I always did the egg white and lemon juice mask, but found it didn't do much for me!

    XXX, Rhea
    www.cateyechronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've heard that aspirin helps reduce acne! Never tried it out for myself though. This mask looks great! Lovely post :)
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard about turmeric is great in a face mask but never thought to make one like this! Sounds amazing and definitely one I'll be trying asap :) Xx

    A Blonde Moment

    ReplyDelete