Dhammapada.

A giant snow-sculpture of Buddha that I was able to capture at the Ely Winter Festival.

Although I don't exactly affiliate myself with any one religion, I like to pull ideas and inspiration from many different belief systems and incorporate them into my own way of living.
Lately I've been reading and drawing inspiration from the Dhammapada, which is one of the most significant texts found in Buddhism. It is a collection of sayings from Buddha, which have been culled from various discourses of his teachings in the course of 45 years and is written in verse form. I take comfort in the Dhammapada for its accessibility, relative thoroughness, and poetic wisdom. 
For a bit of Monday morning inspiration I thought I would include a few of my favorite bits from Dhammapada. I hope they bring you as much thought and inspiration as they have brought me.

Better than a thousand hollow words,
 is one word that brings peace.


Overcome the angry by friendliness,
overcome the wicked by goodness, 
overcome the miser by generosity,
overcome the liar by truth.


To overcome one's own self 
is indeed better than to conquer others.


No one saves us but ourselves.
No one can and no one may.
We ourselves must walk the path.



Do not dwell in past 
Do not dream in the future
Concentrate the mind in the present moment.


Like a beautiful flower full of color but without fragrance,
Even so, fruitless are the fair words of one who does not practice them.


Live in joy,
In love,
Even among those who hate.



Do not follow the ideas of others,
But learn to listen to the voice within yourself.



Focus,
no on the rudeness of others,
not on what they've done
or left undone, 
but on what you have
and haven't done 
yourself. 


Learn to love without condition.
Speak without bad intention.
Give without any reason.
And most of all,
care for people without any expectation.

16 comments

  1. These are all very beautiful, true quotes. The last one especially is spot on, and something I definitely aspire to. x

    Kay
    http://shoesandglitter.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful phrases. Have a nice day. Gemma xx
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buddhism has so many beautiful life outlooks. It focuses on positivity and peace. Xx


    eLLa
    every LiTTLE thing07

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful sayings, I love all the positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely .....xxx

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there hun, you getting ready for Xmas yet?
    Great post as usual, love it.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
    New post ;
    http://its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk/
    IG: its.dominica.s
    Have a lovely week kisses! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this so I could read it!

    www.heyitskiaerin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful words. Makes one think about the world...
    Lovely post <3
    Emma xx

    www.wellemma.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an amazing post! Thank you for sharing these beautiful posts :) You have a very inspirational blog, and you've just got yourself a new follower :) xx

    http://beautypeptalk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of these, they're such beautiful words. I love to focus on positivity and gratitude :)

    Paula
    Thirteen Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow the Christian faith but my parents are followers of Buddhism. While I'm pretty set on Christianity, I do love to dabble into readings of other faiths and religions. This one is incredibly interesting; thank you so much for sharing!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a nice read. I'm actually raised a Roman Catholic but I do not associate as a Catholic anymore. I do implement teachings of other religions and even those not even considered religion in my life.

    MONDAY PROJECTS

    ReplyDelete